What to Snag: Rave by Naughty Monkey. Biker Chic.
How do you know if something is trendy? Aside from what advertisers tell you (plaid?
), it’s hard to know what’s actually turning heads out there on the streets. Since designers showcase their seasonal wares at shows scheduled months ahead of the relevant season, even their best efforts could be way off mark. When you think of it in these terms, following fashion is like following a school of fish that’s constantly shifting shape and switching directions. That’s why it takes focused attention and in-depth analysis to figure out what the average consumer will see as trendy over the next few months–yet the folks over at Forbes
report that it is possible. According to their article on Fall 2009 fashion trends
, Lazard Capital Markets’ analysts gathered and combed through ten issues of fall 2009 fashion magazines to discover which trends will be big this fall. (Tough job they have over there… maybe I should think about becoming an analyst…) Here’s a summary of their findings:
What to Save (from last fall’s collections)
- Skinny jeans & boots, back from last fall.
- Returning boot styles include westerns, booties, bikers (with studs), over-the-knee styles, and suede.
- UGGS aren’t going anywhere anytime soon… their knit-boot style and mid-calf sheepskin Baily Button boot will be especially popular.
What to Snag:
- Get yerself a pair of leggings if you don’t have any yet. Pair them with loose-fitting tunics or blouses for autumn-licious layering fun.
- Studded shoes, handbags, and belts are bigger than ever.